College of Public Health and Medical Science is one of the giant organs of Mettu University currently working hard towards its mission of advancing the health of the Ethiopian people through quality education, innovative research and community services. The college was launched to teaching-learning process by enrolling 150 students in Public Health Officer, BSC Nurse and Midwifery in 2012. In 2018/19 a total of 1,568 students have been learning in regular and continuing education (extension programs) in undergraduate in seven departments. In addition to the regular programs, so as to fulfil the community’s need for further education, the college started the extension program (weekend, evening and summer) in Public Health Officer and Clinical Nurse departments since 2014. In PG the college opened two programs MPH and Masters of Nutrition. The college has also plan to establish additional departments in undergraduate and general public health in post graduate by the year 2020/21.
To endeavour the country’s development through conducting problem solving public health & biomedical researches and producing qualified multidisciplinary health professionals who will competitively provide basic promotive, preventive & curative health services. By so doing, enhance wellbeing and active engagement of citizens’ in development initiatives for Excellence in learning-teaching, research and community services
The college aspires to be centre of excellence in training multidisciplinary health professionals, undertaking academically meticulous and communally meaningful researches output and provide community services in the region as well as country at large by 2025.
- Respect & empathy
- Professionalism (Commit to Quality public Health Service)
- Fostering Creativity/Innovation
- Exercising Leadership and good governance
The general objectives of FHMS are:
- To produce compassionate, respectful, competent and community oriented health professionals for the country with international recognized standard of excellence
- To produce public health officers who undertake promotive, preventive, curative and rehabilitative services including management and implementation of PHC services compatible to the needs of the population, providing need based community services and undertaking problem solving health researches.
- To produce nursing professionals who are capable of providing comprehensive nursing care services in hospitals , health centers, and participate in health research facilities
- To train patient-oriented while still having a broad pharmaceutical knowledge and skill that can easily adapt to working in any of the pharmaceutical service of the country
- to train midwifery professionals who provides quality care includes preventative measures, the promotion of normal birth, the detection of complications in mother and child, the accessing of medical care or other appropriate assistance and the carrying out of emergency measures to reduces death due to pregnancy
- To conduct research activities in the area of community health based on the existing problems and felt need of the society
- To facilitate and assist in the transfer and adaptation of knowledge, attitude and skills.
- The college has shown a great progress in its research and community service engagement, and output. In this regard, the academic staff members are addressing a number of health problems deserving research consideration. These include, among others, epidemiology of infectious and non-infectious diseases, reproductive health issues, human nutrition, drug related problem, traditional medicine study and prevalence of different diseases, disease control approaches and strategies, and others.
- The college provides outreach community service like prison health service, Infection prevention for health workers, family planning training, HIV related training, psychiatric disorder related, training, food hygiene for cafeteria workers in the University, medicine uses
- The college has also started training postgraduate programs such as master of public health (MPH) and MSC in Human nutrition. The faculty has finished its preparation to launch the new two postgraduate (MSC in Adult nursing and MSC in reproductive health)
- In addition to this, the college has also signed an agreement with different hospitals and Jimma University to support practical skills of our students and to improve the teaching-learning process in the faculty. The college also started industry based teaching learning process by signing memorandum of understanding with different hospitals and health centres like Mettu Karl Hospital, Bedele hospital, Shenen-Gibe hospital, Jimma specialized hospital, Agaro hospital, Arjo hospital; and seven different health centres
- There’s also good starting concerning linkage with NGOs like JHPIEGO, IPASS,ICAP ,UNFPA ,etc.
- Working with health related stakeholders like Ethiopian Public Health Association (EPHA), Ethiopian Midwifes Association (EMA), Ethiopian Nursing Association (ENA), Ethiopian Medical laboratory science association (EMLSA), and Ethiopian pharmaceuticals Association (EPA).
The college has a total of 191 staffs which includes 170 academicians (83 MSC and above holders), 10 administrative staffs and 11 lab assistants by 2019/20.
- Availability of practical sites like Mettu Karl comprehensive specialized hospital, Bedele hospital, Shenen-gibe hospital and Darimu hospital and other health service facilities for students’ apparent ship.
- The closeness of our university to Jimma University for practical attachments and joint work.
- Availability Yayo forest Medical researches
- Availability different stakeholder
- Lack of teaching hospital
- Lack of digital library
- Lack of students residence area in health facilities
- Upgrade the faculty to college level
- Launching different new disciplines of health science and post graduate programs
- Opening health research institute based on health related
- Serving the community through launching different enterprise such as model pharmacy , clinical lab services and medium clinics
- Creating linkage with different institutions at national and international levels to initiate different projects
- Establishing training center for infectious and non-Infectious diseases
- Health science demonstration room
- Mini health Science ICT
- Medical Microbiology and parasitology lab
- pharmacy lab
Departments under the college
- Public Health Department
- Department of Nursing
- Department of Midwifery
- Department Of Psychiatry Nursing
- Department of pharmacy
- Department of Biomedical
- Department of Health Informatics