Business and Economics Faculty is one of the faculties running various academic programs in Mettu University. The faculty was established in 2011 G.C, by enrolling management in weekend program. In addition to the weekend program, in September 2012 the faculty has opened Accounting and Finance, Management, and Economics in regular program. Having understood the demand for the study in these fields in 2013, it opened Management Information System in regular program, Accounting, and Finance in weekend program. In September 2014, Economics and September 2015 Accounting and Finance fields of study had been opened in Bedelle Town in weekend program. In addition to producing professionals, the faculty is conducting problem solving researches and providing need based community services.
The main objectives of the faculty are;
- To produce professionals having high quality with the necessary professional skills in the field of Business and Economics.
- To promote research agendas across the Faculty’s disciplinary spectrum and through interdisciplinary initiatives.
- To provide quality education for our students, characterized by the close contact of students with their instructors in supportive collegiate and departmental communities.
- To attract, develop and retain academic staff of the highest quality and make the faculty, choice for all staff (international, national, and local).
- To make significant contributions to the surrounding community, through the fruits of its research, academic and community service activities.
- To deliver outstanding facilities and services and manage them effectively and responsively for the benefit of staff and students
Currently, the faculty has more than 44 academic staff among which 5 of them are PhD holders, 20 master graduate and 19 BA holders and 4 administrative and supportive staffs. The faculty has about 640 regular and about 110 students in weekend programs.
The faculty is working relentlessly to increase students’ enrollment in various study programs in the field. In addition, it is conducting problem solving researches and need based community services since its establishment. In July, 2015 the faculty has awarded BA/BSC for a total of 134 graduates upon successful completion of their study in its three academic programs.
- Favorable government policies and strategies
- National economic growth
- Free market economy system
- Expansion of micro and small enterprise system and Expansion of entrepreneurs contribution
- Expansion of infrastructure and investment policy
- Government commitment to provide sufficient budget
- Presence of education quality package
- Interruption of telecommunication services and electric power
- Lack/ shortage of qualified man power in the labor market.
In the near future faculty of Business and Economics is planning to increase the number of its programs based on market demand. The faculty is also planning to start post graduate programs in the fields of Business Administration (MBA), and Economics.
Currently the faculty has adequate offices for its staffs and class rooms for the students. In order to run the available academic programs smoothly the faculty is fulfilling books in the library, and has one partially fulfilled computer laboratory. Staff offices are relatively fulfilled with the necessary office furniture’s, equipments and office machineries. In particular, the faculty has a reasonably allocated amount of budget for running its programs efficiently.