Department of Physics
The Department of Physics of Mettu University has undergone an evolutionary transformation after some years of course delivery under the division of Faculty Natural and Computational Science by the year 2011G.C since its establishment. Until Know, the Department trained and graduated potential human power in in Bachelor of Science in Physics. The contribution of the Department, in this regard, was instrumental in producing educated and skill full human power in the country. The most recent science curriculum was in line with the country vision and policy of 70:30 focusing on science education. As the saying goes, the curriculum has to be dynamic to catch up current development in the world. Thus the curriculum was further harmonized and modularized so, that the nation runs similar Physics curriculum throughout.
With regards to postgraduate program, the Department first launched, MSc (Master of Science in Physics) by the year of 2018G.C. Side by side new MSc curriculum in Physics was developed and implemented. Currently the Department runs Master of Science in Physics in two streams. Since the inception of the program the Department trained many graduates in both regular and non-regular mode of deliveries. The department has sufficient laboratory works.
- To see well organized physics teaching and research center is based at Mettu university in the world
- To develop manpower that promote national development that can make the country internationally competitive.
- Promote and enhance research focusing on knowledge and technology transfer consistence with country’s priority needs.
- To ensure quality of education in theoretical, experimental, computational research physics.
- To encourage and make links with different industries.
Currently, the physics Department has been offering the following programs
- Regular Program
- Three year BSc program
- Two year MSc program
- Summer Program
1. A five year BSc summer Program in Physics
2. A four year MSc summer program in Physics.
- Bachelor’s Degrees
- Bachelor of Science in Physics
- Master’s Degrees
- M.S. Master of Science in Physics with a stream;
- In Nuclear Physics
- Condensed Matter physics
- Curriculum division for area of specializations developed are:
- Space Physics
- Statistical physics
- Atmospheric Physics
- Computational Physics
- Quantum Field Theory